Thursday, January 27, 2011

Simplify

I love my new blog picture. Each of the 3 youngest got to take a friend and use our season passes and buddy passes at Silver Dollar City. My two youngest are in the maroon and the green...one of our friends is in the stripes. Unbridled excitement/fear/surprise. I laugh every time I look at this picture.

I have some more pictures of Wear What You Have, but I've decided to make an adjustment. By now, I'm wearing the same outfits over and over. Boring for anyone that happens to read this blog. So, I'm going to post when I wear something new. And, I've got a few pictures in my camera of "I can't believe I bought that!" items that I think you'll get a kick out of.

One of my dear friends has decided to sort of define her year with "one little word". Something she can use to try to give herself direction...something to work on this year...something to pray about and for. I'm not a big fan of resolutions, and I initially didn't think I'd do something like this...but there is a word that is ringing in my head these last many weeks. It's the word "simplify". There are so many ways to apply this word. Things, thoughts, spirit, desires, etc... I have a lot of ideas bouncing around in my brain, but I know myself well enough to know that I need to do just one or two things at a time. I tend to jump into the water with both feet and then find myself crumbling under the waves as I'm pulled in so many directions. So, while I contemplate simplifying myself internally, I'm putting effort into simplifying externally. Lately, my concern for the poor has transferred into some self-guilt. I am so incredibly blessed, but don't deserve a darn thing. Why do I get the great family, the warm home, a pantry full of food, cars that make life more convenient, a closet stuffed with clothes I don't wear, stuff that fills my home but not my heart? How do I continue to try to teach my children that more is not necessarily better, that money doesn't equal happiness, to be thankful for what you have, and how to say no?
All good questions...I'm still working on answers. Anyway, for this month, I'm going to simplify my bathroom. No earth-shattering changes...just simplify. Why do I find it hard to let go of a full bottle of nail polish that I haven't worn in 5 years? Do I really think I'll wear it? No. But it's as though I'm admitting I made a mistake if I throw it out. So, here it is...I'm laying it out for you to see read. Are you ready? I wasted my money on some nail polish and now I'm going to get rid of it. There you go. Holy cow! Are you still there? Who knows what'll go next?

No comments: