Sunday, May 10, 2009

Terrific Taters

It's Mother's Day. I've had a lovely day and thought I'd blog a little. I had been meaning to post about baked potatoes for a while now. I don't know why, but baking potatoes always intimidated me. That, and making rice. Thanks to my crockpot, and my beautiful electrified rice cooker, I am now a rice and potato goddess. I discovered about 2 years ago that I can make baked potatoes in my crockpot. Since I have the "Big Mama" of crockpots, I can make 7 humdinger sized potatoes with no problem. Awesome!!

The details?

Wash your taters and scrub them clean. Or, if you like to eat dirt, and I've heard that there are those that do, then just skip that step. Next, I take a fork and poke each one about 5 or 6 times. I'm not sure why, but that's what all the recipes I've seen tell me to do. I have visions of potatoes exploding and covering my kitchen ceiling, so I don't mess with this part of the recipe. Always poke the potatoes!! Then, I take a stick of butter and I smear it all over the potato. Now, if you're not going to eat the skin, or you like the taste of dirt, I don't suppose you need to do this. However, it makes me feel a little bit gourmet when I drench them with butter...and I know how much you love butter! Who doesn't I'd like to know!! I plop those babies in the CP and cook on low for about 8 hours...or high for about 4. They come out steaming hot and fall-apart delicious. Then, you can put MORE fat on them... butter, cheese, sour cream... mmmm. I'll take two. After all, they ARE vegetables.



4 comments:

Christy said...

Are the skins crispy? I make baked potatoes in the oven. I wash them, pat them dry, rub them with vegetable oil, place on a baking sheet and sprinkle with sea salt. The outside is crispy, but the inside divine!

Since you love butter...Darryl's favorite baked potato is when I wash, dry, then slice the potato in 1/2" slices, but not all the way through, just almost, and then put little pats of butter between each slice, then wrap in aluminum foil and bake.

I'm going to give the crock pot a try though. Love the ease of a crockpot.

I just got a rice cooker too! Love it!

Cindy McLean said...

Hey Trish! I cook both rice and potatoes in the microwave....I do like oven baked though! Yes, you are right...they are a vegetable!haha Did you get the "girls" today? How are they?

Wendy said...

"Or, if you like to eat dirt, and I've heard that there are those that do, then just skip that step."
Haha!!! I had a friend just tell me not to bother scrubbing my potatoes so much; she just runs hers under the water and cooks! Each to his own! Maybe it builds up her immune system? ;-)

Sounds delicious!! I just bought potatoes tonight, so I may give this a try tomorrow. I'll let you know how they turn out.

Wendy said...

Mine are cookin' right now! :-)