Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Blah, Blah, Blahging...

Well, it's been a while. Why? I have no idea. So, what will I write about?

How about the weather? There be ice out there! Thank the Lord, we haven't lost power. But, many of our friends have. We've checked on several people and everyone seems OK at this point. Here's the irony... I have been contemplating a 72-hour emergency kit for a couple of weeks now. My goal for January is water. FEMA suggest a gallon of water per person, per day, minimum. So, that means I need a minimum of 21 gallons of water stored. The main question is how/where to store it. Thankfully, water is relatively cheap, and can be treated easily to store for a long time. But, you have to put it somewhere. I could do a bunch of bottled water, but that's more expensive. So, I think the easiest thing would be to go ahead and get some big water containers and put them in the basement. Of course, if there's snow outside, you have unlimited water...as long as it isn't yellow :-)

What else? Kids? Zack got back for the inaugural parade last Friday. They had a super time and everyone stayed safe. It's amazing how one less person can create a totally different family dynamic. But, now everyone's home and momma is happy. School has been cancelled since Tuesday and they've already announced no school for tomorrow. We have been doing school anyway. Honestly, it's just easier to stay on schedule. And, that's a few days less in May that we'll need to make up! I'd rather do school when it's freezing outside than when it's beautiful and warm. Of course, the kids can't think that far in advance, so there's the usual complaining about "everyone else" getting a vacation. Don't worry though...I'm not THAT mean...they did get to play outside for a couple of hours today. But, doing school work keeps them busy and out of each other's hair. And, again, that makes momma happy.

What about you? What do you do with the kids on snow days?

4 comments:

Mom Keena said...

What do I do with kids on snow days? Send them to school! :)

Bekah said...

What's a snow day?

Shan said...

Today we dodged falling ice outside for about an hour in between sledding down a weedy hill behind the downtown buildings. It was so warm today! Well, warmer than before. ;)

I've been iced in OKC and away from my kiddos until last eve so I have been willing to do most anything with them.

Wendy said...

...as long as it isn't yellow. Heh.